Week #7 - Knowing God Study Questions - The Grace of God - Chapter 13
THE GRACE OF GOD
To understand the doctrine of grace.
1. What two responses to the doctrine of grace are contrasted on pages 128-129?
2. What four crucial truths does the doctrine of grace presuppose?
3. In discussing these four truths, how does Packer characterize the modern pagan’s view of his own morals? How does Packer characterize the modern pagan’s view of God? How does such a concept of God rule out a doctrine of grace?
4. Why do some people find the doctrine of grace to be so meaningful?
5. How does your “working concept” of the doctrine of grace compare with the two views we have discussed?
6. What is the relation of grace to salvation?
7. What is justification? How is grace related to it?
8. What is the plan of salvation? How is grace related to it?
9. What is the preservation of the saints? How is grace related to it?
10. What does this statement mean: “In the New Testament doctrine is grace, and ethics is gratitude”? How have you experienced this in your own life?
11. Why do you think Packer says, “Those who suppose that the doctrine of God’s grace tends to encourage moral laxity… do not know what they are talking about” (p. 136)?
Optional: Sing one or all the hymns quoted in this chapter. Have a time of worship, confessing your unworthiness and praising God for his grace.
What is the grace of God? How can a person experience it?